AAA Texas credits the rising gas prices to the geopolitical tensions happening between Russia and the West over Ukraine.
TEMPLE, Texas — Texas’ gas price average has hit $3 per gallon and AAA Texas said it will likely be the average for awhile.
AAA Texas credits the rising gas prices to the geopolitical tensions happening between Russia and the West over Ukraine, saying it’s driving up crude oil prices in a news release Thursday.
“With tensions escalated between Ukraine and Russia and demand for gasoline climbing, market prices for crude oil have been moving upward,” said AAA Texas spokesperson Daniel Armbruster. “While gas price trends can sometimes be unpredictable, the current market environment suggests higher pump prices could stick around for a while.”
Though the Lone Star State’s average is $3 a gallon, it remains lower than the national average at $3.35 a gallon.
In our area, gas prices remain a little below $3 with McLennan County seeing the lowest average of $2.92 a gallon, according to Gas Buddy. Bell, Falls, Limestone, Coryell and Lampasas Counties are seeing $2.99 a gallon average.
(Check out kcentv.com/gas-prices to see the gas prices in your area.)
When it comes to all of Texas, drivers in El Paso are paying the most ($3.29 per gallon average) while drivers in Amarillo are paying the lease ($2.90).
Drivers in El Paso are paying the most with an average of $3.29 per gallon while drivers in Amarillo are paying the least with an average of $2.90 per gallon.
Here are a few tips to try and save money on fuel, according to AAA:
- Make sure your tires are properly maintained and inflated to the correct level
- Maintain your car according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Regular service will ensure optimum fuel economy
- Avoid “jackrabbit” starts and hard accelerations. These actions greatly increase fuel consumption
- Slow down and drive the speed limit. Higher speeds result in more aerodynamic drag
- Use cruise control on the highway to help maintain a constant speed and save fuel. However, never use cruise control on slippery roads because a loss of vehicle control could result
- Minimize your use of air conditioning
- Sign up for a fuel rewards program. AAA and Shell offer stackable discounts on gas
- Avoid extended idling to warm up the engine, even in colder temperatures. It’s unnecessary and wastes fuel
- Remove unnecessary and bulky items from your car
- Minimize your use of roof racks and remove special carriers when not in use